Farm curtailment fluctuation
Understanding rated power fluctuations in detail
What is the purpose of the turbine issue check?
- The farm is exhibiting fluctuations in farm power that may be observed in individual turbine power curves.
- If a turbine is operating below rated power, and it is not expected, this will directly impact turbine output.
Can you see this in 10-min data?
- Even for a “simple” issue of curtailment, 10-min data does not show the full story. Here we see the the 10-min power curve for a wind farm that has high-levels of utility curtailment
- It was unclear if the curtailment was hiding further issues on the power curve
- While many customers know about curtailment, WindESCo tries to confirm it is all expected behavior as there is often curtailment beyond site expectations
How do you identify this issue?
- WindESCo highlighted farm curtailment points with high speed data and then removed them
- Once the high-speed curtailment curtailment was removed, WindESCo was able to identify that indeed there were additional opportunities for improving AEP by identifying non-utility driven curtailment on site